[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 09:18:01 EDT 2011

On Friday 10 June 2011 14:05:14 Yaro Kasear wrote:
> Another agreement from me here. Also, may I also add that a great deal of
> Arch users have /boot in a (tiny) partition to start with and can't really
> KEEP that much stuff in there? Keeping old kernels would definitely screw
> their systems up and keep them from upgrading with any ease.

I have two kernels in /boot at the moment, and that takes 32MiB.  My /boot
partition is 200MiB, which is pretty generous as far as separate /boots go.
That gives me room for 12 kernels.  I'm not sure many would have a /boot
smaller than 100MiB, and can't see *anyone* partitioning a /boot to less than
32MiB.  I don't think space is a concern when we're talking about 2-3 kernels
(current, previous, and possibly a custom build.)

Paul