[arch-general] On module blacklisting

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat Jun 11 04:55:35 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Tom Gundersen's message of 2011-06-11 02:22:56 +0200:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> > 1. As I read it, it's only blacklisting that's affected, is that
> >   correct?
>
> Correct.
>
> >   So MODULES in rc.conf can in the future only be used to load
> >   modules at boot-up.
>
> Correct.
>
> > (Is there even a way to configure modprobe to
> >   load modules on boot?)
>
> No (that's why we need to keep this in rc.conf).

It was a lot nicer to have loading and blacklisting in one place though.
I like Arch in part for the simplicity of its configuration and
spreading out config files doesn't help.
I also think that the Arch blacklisting semantics were better, but I'm
not sure they actually worked as intended.

Another thing, is it still possible to have the rc.conf network stuff as
a one-liner or is this new format required? I just need to switch
between dhcp and a static address from time to time and a one liner is
more convenient to comment/uncomment.