[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jun 11 12:40:36 EDT 2011

It would appear that on Jun 11, Heiko Baums did say:

> Am Fri, 10 Jun 2011 21:21:17 -0400
> schrieb "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp at ttlc.net>:
>
> > Mind specifying for an idiot like me just which package-file-names
> > I'd need to use with pacman -U to restore the previous kernel,
> > complete with it's modules?
>
> Try `ls /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26*` and I guess you will find it.

OK so lets see if I understand... I already maintain a manually configured grub
legacy partition where each of my installed Linux have both a chainloader menu
entry to whichever grub that Linux has installed to /boot on it's root
partition, AND a regular menu entry that specified the initrd & vmlinuz that
I routinely copy to MY grub partition shortly after any kernel upgrade...

So in the event that the new kernel was effectively broken that on MY
hardware neither the chainloaded Arch nor the arch fallback menu entries
were able to boot, I could then boot the not yet replaced last known good
kernel and initrd directly from MY grub and then from a console root prompt:

«assuming that the following tar.xz file is still there»

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26-2.6.38.6-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

And when I next reboot using the chainloader to where arch has it's grub
installed, and selected "Arch Linux" it should boot that kernel with it's
initrd AND it's modules would be where it expects them with the result that
it should be as fully functioning as it was before pacman upgraded from it???