[arch-general] linux 3.0 kernel testing

cantabile cantabile.desu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 13:51:30 EDT 2011

On 06/16/2011 08:44 PM, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
> On 06/16/2011 10:57 AM, Christian Hesse wrote:
>> Madhurya Kakati<mkakati2805 at gmail.com>  on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:38:35
>> +0530:
>>> I want to test the linux3.0 kerne. Whats the most easiest way to test
>>> it? Is there a AUR package? I couldn't find it.
>> kernel26-mainline 3.0rc3-1
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=39965
>
> Why is it named kernel26? Also i was checking out the PKGBUILD. Do i
> have to compile and install the kernel headers and kernel docs? Also the
> pkgname is kernel26-mainline. But the the line 69 is
> package_kernel26() { but shouldn't it be renamed
> package_kernel26-mainline() { ?
> I don't want to mess up my existing kernel by installing it. I want to
> install it as package named kernel26-mainline.
>
> Also is there anyway to check what files a package will add or remove
> from my system when I install it without actually installing it?
>
> Thanks

You don't have to install it after makepkg is done. `tar tf
kernel26-mainline-blah.pkg.tar.xz` will list the contents. pacman can do
that as well (for specifics, see the manual).

The package was first uploaded on 17 Aug 2010, at that time there was no
linux 3.0.

You can tell makepkg to only build the packages you want from a split
pkgbuild (again, see the manual).

--
cantabile

"Jayne is a girl's name." -- River