[arch-general] netcfg 2.6 release

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun Jun 19 17:52:08 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Yaro Kasear <yaro at marupa.net> wrote:
> I'd like a minor clarification here... I've never seen a directory called run
> on /. Is netcfg expected to create that?

No. /run is maintained by mkinitcfg/initscripts/filesystem. It is a
tmpfs mounted directory that is guaranteed to be writable from the
initramfs until shutdown. In the long-run it is meant to take the
place of /var/run (you can actually symlink /var/run to /run now and
everything works).

For more details see: <https://lwn.net/Articles/436012/>.

> Does the FHS support that?

Yes. Distributions are free to add root-level directories; individual
applications are not.

/run was first proposed by debian and is currently (to the best of my
knowledge) endorsed by at least suse, fedora and ubuntu. I believe it
has also been proposed for inclusion in the new FHS.

Cheers,

Tom