[arch-general] Anything to manage user daemons?

James Rayner james at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 20 03:30:12 EDT 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:15 +0800, "XeCycle" <xecycle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. I need to start several programs after login and
> after startx. Now I write these directly in my .bash_profile
> and .xinitrc; but I'm not satisfied with this. They cannot
> be easily stopped after logout. To do that I think I'd
> record their PID and kill them in .bash_logout, also need to
> take care when they're manually stopped, and all these
> related problems.
>
> So I think a set of scripts like the daemon managing from
> initscripts will be nice. But I can't write /etc/rc.d
> daemons, as they must be executed by a normal user.
>
> Has anyone written such a tool?
>
> Thank you.

Instead of doing exec startx, you can background startx and wait for it,
allowing your script to complete and clean things up. I don't know of a
specific tool for managing user processes though, however you could
"copy" rc.d/? files and amend them for your own usage.

~/.xinitrc:
#! /bin/bash
start stuff
startx &