[arch-general] Ethernet stopped working after update

dmbuce at gmail.com dmbuce at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 16:17:33 EDT 2011

Some more info: I noticed while looking through pacman.log that this is
the first upgrade I've done since 2011-03-26. *wince*

On 06/26/2011 02:15 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM,<dmbuce at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> # lspci | grep -i ethernet
>> Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI
>> Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
>>
>> After doing pacman -Syu, ethernet on my desktop stopped working. The card on
>> my laptop is the same, at least according to lspci, and is working fine.
>>
>> When I upgraded, there was a change in syntax in rc.conf for defining the
>> network, but I'm just attempting dhcp for now before I try to set up a
>> static ip:
>>
>> interface=eth0
>> address=
>> netmask=
>> gateway=
>
> Could you try with your old rc.conf? We didn't drop support for the
> old syntax, so it should still work. It would be good to rule that one
> out before anything else I think.

Trying dhcp with the old syntax fails, and configuring a static ip
appears to succeed, but then fails when I try to do something with the
connection.

eth0="eth0 192.168.0.116 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(gateway)

> Secondly, could you possibly downgrade some of your packages to figure
> out which one caused the problem? My guess is going to be kernel26,
> initscripts or udev.

After downgrading the kernel, my eth0 device no longer shows up in with
ifconfig -a. Downgrading initscripts, udev, and mkinitcpio (which I
needed to do for udev) didn't help.

Oh, but using r8169 instead of r8168 fixes that. nvm. Still can't get a
working connection, though. Any other suggestions for packages to downgrade?

> One more thing: have you noticed the change of syntax in rc.conf for
> blacklisting modules? Did you blacklist any modules before, that is
> not getting blacklisted anymore? Could you try blacklisting them using
> modprobe.conf?

Yes, I noticed this. The only thing I ever blacklisted before the
upgrade was pcspkr, and that's no longer loaded automatically. While
troubleshooting this issue, I've blacklisted r8169 in /etc/modprobe.d,
but I undid that change and uninstalled the r8168 package while
downgrading the packages you suggested (see above).

> Please file a bug report if none of this solves your problem.

Should I file it upstream or on Arch's bugtracker? What package/project
should I file it with?