[arch-general] Java 7 is now in [community-testing] and needs testing.

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 13:04:02 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto <
denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:45 AM, KESHAV P.R. <skodabenz at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 07:47, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but is this about the binary
> >> jre/jdk releases or the open source openjdk. I currently have openjdk6
> >> (and icedtea-web) installed in my system (x86_64) but did not find an
> >> equivalent package for Java 7. Thanks in advance.
> > These are the binary jre/jdk releases.
>
> But the reference implementation from Oracle will be based on OpenJDK
>
> http://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/moving_to_openjdk_as_the
>
> --
> A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
> Q: Why is top posting so bad?

> Denis A. Altoe Falqueto
> Linux user #524555

have you read the comments on that page?
http://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/moving_to_openjdk_as_the#comment-1307902502754

I couldn't find a great link that explains it, but the main diffs are that
jre/jdk provide proprietary extensions and provide better a better runtime
experience.
Note that reference implementation only means that it is a correct
implementation of a specification and does not mean anything else.