[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] bash-4.2.005 and readline-6.2.001

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 08:57:02 EST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another -1.  I would recommand everyone to downgrade to the previous
> versions before rebooting or halting their systems. I had to boot from
> a live CD in order to downgrade them.
>
> When shutting down, the following was printed:
>
> INIT: Switching to runlevel: 6
> INIT: Sending process the TERM signal
> INIT: no more process left in this runlevel.
>
> And then it just hangs.
>
> On bootup, i got a message about rc.sysinit getting a segfault in
> bash. Then some errors about not finding the qingy libraries (I use
> qingy as login manager) probably related to the mount issue that Angel
> mentionned.  Then it hangs.

`unset TZ' is the simplest test case that causes a segmentation fault
on my system.

The culprit appears to be the chkexport function introduced in patch
bash42-005 [1]. From the backtrace [2], I gather it should probably
check that find_variable returns a non-NULL value. Changing the line
after the find_variable call to read "if (v && exported_p (v))" fixes
the issue for me.

I've sent a bug report to bug-bash at gnu.org using the neat bashbug command. :p

[1] http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-4.2-patches/bash42-005
[2] http://ompldr.org/vN20yYg