[arch-general] wiki - Add a border to Template:Article summary start ?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:48:42 EST 2011

Guys,

  I was working with Template:Article summary start code for the wiki trying to
come up with a way to further define it on the page so you don't end up with it
appearing to float transparently over the wiki content toward the bottom of the
summary -- especially when there is a line of code that intersects it. Where you
have a line of code that crosses the summary, the dashed border for the code
just seems to disappear under the background of the summary.

  I tried color and different combinations of border and think I have hit on
something I like better. I've added a border and adjusted the padding slightly.
Since changing the summary template changes the look of all pages, I thought I
would just pass along the code for Template:Article summary start for you guys
to consider rather than changing it on the wiki.

<noinclude>{{Template}}

'''See [[Writing Article Overviews]] for usage
instructions.'''</noinclude><includeonly>{| style="margin-left: 8px; padding:
3px 5px 3px 5px; border: 3px ridge #AFB1B5; border-spacing: 0px 4px; float:
right; clear: right; width: 25%" cellpadding="0"
|- style="text-align: center"
!  style="background: #333; color: white; padding: 3px" |
'''{{{1|Summary}}}'''</includeonly>

  I have a preview on my mediawiki that I setup as a sandbox to keep from
destroying the Archwiki with my edits... You can take a look at the proposed
border and padding here:

http://www.3111skyline.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

  If the consensus is you like it, then I can update the template. If you don't
- we'll just nix the idea. Nothing ventured nothing gained...

  Even if you don't like the border, then consider the padding change: padding:
3px 5px 3px 5px; It adds just a bit of slenderness to the content beneath the
headings.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.