[arch-general] Sharing data between Windows 7 and Archlinux

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 7 13:55:02 EST 2011

On 7 March 2011 20:27, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
> What kind of Desktop Environment are you using? As far as I know GNOME
> offers to ability to share folders, which can be configured through a GUI.
>
> Otherwise you will have to setup Samba manually, which can be tricky
> sometimes and needs some read up.

With KDE, I just copy the default samba configuration file, edit the
workgroup to match the windows systems, and start the samba daemon.
Then I right-click on a folder, go to the sharing tab, and finally
click away.

If you don't want to share from Linux, just configure the sharing on
Windows (go to advanced sharing settings in win7). Make sure to
uncheck password-protected sharing. Then you can just access the
machine from KDE/Dolphin->Network without samba (just smbclient needs
to be present).