[arch-general] Dropping Oracle OpenOffice

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Mon Mar 7 23:17:53 EST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
>> On 07.03.2011 18:45, Andreas Radke wrote:
>>> LibreOffice has recently proved to be a solid replacement for Oracle

>>> OpenOffice. I'm about to drop all Oracle OOo packages from our repos.
>>>
>>> First my time is limited. I've asked so many times for help in the
>>> Office packaging area and nobody stepped in.
>>>
>>> Then there's the poor distribution support Oracle spends on the
>>> distributions. They almost do not care about custom distribution builds
>>> and their interest. They break the build against system libs
>>> every now and then and it takes ages to contact the relevant devs to
>>> fix their bugs. Development is only driven by the profit interests of
>>> Oracle... You can put in here all the arguments the Document foundation
>>> has given at its birth.
>>>
>>> So don't expect any efforts to fix bugs in Oracle packages anymore. As
>>> soon as they will break due to a .so name bump or something like this
>>> I'll remove all the packages from our repos if nobody else is willing
>>> to maintain them.
>>>

>>> Any objections to add
>>> "replaces=('openoffice-base') " to the next LibO pkg?
>>>
>>> -Andy
>> +1
>>
>> Solid and pragmatic suggestion.
>>

> just an fyi,
> openoffice itself is *huge* and now that it is going to be dropped to
> the aur, it will most likely lose all audience because of how long it
> takes to compile from source. + libreoffice is just a better version
> of openoffice imo, so there should really be no one that uses it.

yeah it's a great idea ... honestly, as critical as openoffice was
when i needed it, i feel like it has barely changed/evolved in the
many years i've used it.  Oracle's decision to reject grandfathering a
foundation and eject long-time members that vastly predating
themselves pretty much !@$!$%$'s a guy right off!

soooo libo/libreoffice/NOOo FTW!

C Anthony