[arch-general] Arch Linux support in puppet

Aaron Bull Schaefer aaron at elasticdog.com
Mon Mar 14 12:45:21 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now the best idea we have been able to come up with is to have puppet
> simply append the named services to the end of the DAEMONS array in the
> rc.conf, but I wanted to ask the community if anyone had any alternative
> ideas on how this could be done.
>
> The ticket containing the discussion on the matter can be found here:
> https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/6697

Although the implementation would be a bit hairy, I think that what
you've proposed is the best solution. That said, rather than just
blindly append the deamon to the end of the line, you could check the
order of daemons based on the service resource subscriptions...but
that would make it a bit more complicated. The actual manipulation of
the array could be handled by Augeas, since Puppet uses that already.
Overall, I don't think you'd want to invent an alternate syntax/means
of configuring daemons that would only apply to Puppet-managed boxes.

--
Aaron Bull Schaefer