[arch-general] Pacman db files and permissions.

Peter Lewis plewis at aur.archlinux.org
Fri Mar 18 18:34:15 EDT 2011

Hi,

It seems to me that something has changed regarding the way pacman handles
permissions of its files since 3.5.

I updated to pacman 3.5 yesterday, and today tried to do a pacman -Ss <foo> as
my normal user. I got some "error: could not open file" errors and it bailed.

Now, I have my umask set as 077, but this didn't seem to affect the way pacman
worked before:

% ls -l /var/lib/pacman/sync/core/pacman-3.4.3-1/desc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 370 Mar 17 19:53 /var/lib/pacman/sync/core/pacman-3.4.3-1/desc

% ls -l /var/lib/pacman/sync/core.db
-rw------- 1 root root 38K Mar 18 05:25 /var/lib/pacman/sync/core.db

Did pacman used to set the permissions on things it had downloaded, and this
hasn't been added to the .db file handling code?

Or is this supposed to happen?

Thanks,

Pete.