[arch-general] Introducing Salt

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 22:37:33 EDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > If you are familiar with a project spearheaded by Red Hat called Func,
> Salt
> > is very similar.
> >
> > On Thursday I released my first release of the Salt remote execution
> > manager, Salt is a tool to allow an admin to execute remote commands on
> sets
> > of systems over the network in an extremely fast and efficient way. I
> have a
> > blog post explaining it in better detail here:
> > http://red45.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/salt-0-6-0-released/
> >
> > Packages are in the AUR! -
> >
> > Tell me what you think! It is of course open source, Apache licence, and
> > am open to collaboration!
> >
> > -Thomas S Hatch
> >

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I have seen a great deal of effort on your part in this project.
> I congratulate you on your initial release, and best of luck (not that
> you need it)!
>
> Useful link to source: https://github.com/thatch45/salt

Thanks Thomas! In all honesty I have been wanting to do this project for
about 2 years, I have studied far too many methods on how to do this right
and tried just about every other method and written a number of rpc systems
to test which ones worked the best.

I hope I have gotten it right!

Just as a reference, Thomas has been plowing away at quarters and committed
a massive amount of code this week, great work on Thomas Dziedzic's part!

All in all I am just excited to see software development in the Arch
community! I will persist that the Arch way should attract the best software
engineers, because Arch is done right!

-Thomas S Hatch