[arch-general] How often kernel26-lts updated?

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Fri Mar 25 12:07:19 EDT 2011

Am 25.03.2011 16:42, schrieb Thomas S Hatch:
> which is why I use the latest kernel on my
> servers and reboot them a lot becaus

As I'm about to set up some new servers I was thinking about this in the
past few days. How does it work out for you?

Because I don't think that rebooting is an option on servers. If there
are running http, mail, dns, etc. service(s) its not that great to
reboot the system.

Could you elaborate on the point you tried to make? Why is a feature
frozen kernel/software a potential security issue? As far as I know
major security issues get updated, so you just need to reload the
modules, don't you? Or am I missing a point here? Because this is what
most long term distributions do.

As you don't expect a server to be in desperate need of new features and
new supported hardware I personally don't think that the latest kernel
is needed.

What do the others think about it?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch