[arch-general] Display "Flicker" with 2.6.37.5-1 & nvidia 270.30-3 (dual head)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:49:15 EDT 2011

Guys,

   Can anyone else confirm seeing display "Flicker" on startup with the new
kernel and nvidia driver? What I mean by "Flicker" is that dark bands 1/8-1/4
screen wide (vertically) will appear as horizontal bars for a fraction of a
second for the first few minutes after boot. (It is not hardware warming
up/etc.. -- it happens on reboot as well and this box runs 24/7)

   The bars appear causing what looks like an old vertical timing sync problem
on a CRT monitor, even though this is LCD. I am running dual-head and have
seen other posts suggesting the problem is primarily a dual-head problem.

   After install of the new kernel and nvidia driver (2.6.37.5-1 & nvidia
270.30-3) the flicker was really bad, to the point I didn't think it was ever
going to quit. The display has settled down, but I still get the flicker every
time I switch desktops. (switching from desktop 1 -> desktop 2, with kpager)

   I don't know what software package may be at the bottom of this? (Xorg?
Nvidia?)  I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if you
have any thoughts on which package it may be. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.