[arch-general] Removing network utilities from base group?

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Tue Mar 29 10:24:03 EDT 2011

Daniel Isenmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a feature request (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22481) since
> January which stated that rp-pppoe should be removed from the base
> group. Described in the details he stated that every network package
> should be removed from the base group and should only be in core.
>
> I'm not really have a opinion to that topic, so what do you think about
> it? For me we can leave it as it is and do nothing at this topic, then I
> will close this feature request as "won't implement".
>
>   -Daniel

My own plan, originally brain0's but i adopted it and probably extended
it as well, has been fully implementing https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12890
Nevermind that its closed now, its only half done as far as i am concerned.
Eventually make every package of core, besides the library dependencies,
be part of a group, like base, base-networking etc. I dont know how much
of a realistic plan it still is today, but i intend to look at it at
some point. And that was part of the reason i opened those feature
requests (theres similar ones for ppp, wpa_supplicant and dash as well).

The core repo keeps growing and growing. Bootloaders, file system support
utilities, dependencies like libedit get added. Yet the installer has
only 1 package selection dialogue with all the applications.
That works fine for packages in base and base-devel which are tagged as such,
but not so much for the other packages which dont belong in a group, and
especially libraries which are nothing more than dependencies to other packages.
The installer has changed lately and from what i've read it includes the
description of the packages.I had opened https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12942
at the time about adding a seperate selection dialogue for each group, but i
havent seen the new installer in action so i dont know if any of the above
still apply, but that was my initial motivation from what i can
remember.

----
Greg