[arch-general] Port 80 is shown open in port scan without any web server running

Simon Perry arch at sanxion.net
Wed Mar 30 07:14:21 EDT 2011

 On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:18:47 +0530, Partha Chowdhury wrote:

> initially I wanted to know why port 80 is shown open on my machine
> and i gave the lsof output to show that no service was listening to
> port 80 on my machine. The nmap output of the ip - that is my public
> ip at the moment ( got that by visiting whatismyip.com) shows port 80
> as open when it should be blocked according to my iptables
> configuration.
>
> Basically i was afraid some rootkit/malware was running web server on
> my machine by making it invisible !

 So your machine is 172.16.37.164, which you have to configure and tell
 your ISP because they NAT externally from 115.187.45.97 to many internal
 172.16.37.* users?

 Therefore more than one person could have an external address of
 115.187.45.97 mapping back to their 172.16.37.* IP?

 Even though only one person could have 115.187.45.97:80 mapped back to
 them?

 Are you sure about how this works?

--
 Simon Perry (aka Pezz)