[arch-general] Gnome 3, a bug?

Aljosha Papsch joschi.papsch at yahoo.de
Mon May 2 12:01:43 EDT 2011

>This is such a basic issue that I refuse to believe I'm the first to

>bump into this behaviour.  Hence I ask here first for some help.
>
>I recently upgraded to Gnome3 and switching between windows with
>alt+tab is rather broken for me.  Here's why I say that:
>
>1. I make sure I have two non-overlapping windows on the screen at the
   same time.
>2. I position the mouse pointer in one of the window.
>3. At this point I can't switch focus to the other window with
   alt+tab.

>Basically I have two options:
>
>1. Move the mouse pointer so that it's not in any window, then I can
   use alt+tab.
>2. Move the mouse to switch focus.
>
>Neither of these is very convenient.
>
>Does anyone recognise this?
>
>/M

It's a design pattern of the GNOME Shell. Switching between windows work application based, not window based. Which means, if a Webbrowser is opened and two Shells, you won't switch between the shells but between Firefox and the last focused shell. You can get back the old behavior, though. Just install gnome-shell-extensions-git from AUR.