[arch-general] Gnome 3, a bug?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon May 2 18:18:01 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 05:01:43PM +0100, Aljosha Papsch wrote:
> >This is such a basic issue that I refuse to believe I'm the first to
>
> >bump into this behaviour.  Hence I ask here first for some help.
> >
> >I recently upgraded to Gnome3 and switching between windows with
> >alt+tab is rather broken for me.  Here's why I say that:
> >
> >1. I make sure I have two non-overlapping windows on the screen at the
>    same time.
> >2. I position the mouse pointer in one of the window.
> >3. At this point I can't switch focus to the other window with
>    alt+tab.
> >
> >Basically I have two options:
> >
> >1. Move the mouse pointer so that it's not in any window, then I can
>    use alt+tab.
> >2. Move the mouse to switch focus.
> >
> >Neither of these is very convenient.
> >
> >Does anyone recognise this?
> >
> >/M
>
> It's a design pattern of the GNOME Shell. Switching between windows
> work application based, not window based. Which means, if a
> Webbrowser is opened and two Shells, you won't switch between the
> shells but between Firefox and the last focused shell. You can get
> back the old behavior, though. Just install
> gnome-shell-extensions-git from AUR.

No, you misunderstand me.

No matter what two windows I have, whether they are two different
applications or not, I still see the same behaviour.  I also see the
same behaviour when switching between two windows of the same
application (using alt+` on my machine).

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay