[arch-general] Gnome 3, a bug?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu May 5 11:30:57 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:25, Casey Peter <caseyjp1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 03:20 AM, Magnus Therning wrote:

>>> It might be "icky", but you asked a question...I answered it.  I have it
>>> working and do it that way for now, it works a charm, as some of those
>>> extensions I am not fond of, having gotten used to the defaults during
>>> the
>>> testing phase.  Adding a .xxx to the end of the file disables it and
>>> keeps
>>> the basic folder name structure intact so later if I want it back "on" I
>>> know exactly what to change.
>>>
>>>  The package(s) are in AUR anyway, and until we get a better method of
>>> handling the stuff, this works for me.  As for good practice...its my own
>>> machine in my own home, and I know what goes on in exquisite detail on
>>> that
>>> box...so hey.  :D  (not knocking what you are saying for sys admin
>>> purposes.)
>>
>> Indeed, you answered exactly the question I asked.  In the end I
>> modified the PKGBUILD to only build the extensions I want.
>>
>> The packages in AUR (-git) seem to build broken software at the
>> moment.  Modifying them to build the source tagged 3.0.1 results in
>> working extensions.
>>
>> I just hope there's a documented way to control enabled extensions
>> per-use once there's an extension package in [extra]/[community].
>>
>>> I really do like the looking glass tool though.  That is one nifty little
>>> idsoftware kinda tool.  :-)
>>
>> Yes, I agree... the only thing that bugs we with it is getting rid of
>> it.  Pressing 'ESC' to kill the window only works for me when I'm on
>> the evaluator tab.
>>
>> /M
>>

> I just hope that extensions gets a nice gui to match the look/n/feel of the
> desktop itself.  I'm actually a little surprised it didn't from the get-go
> as this would have assuaged a LOT of folks who wanted to change said
> "defaults" in the first place...but hey, I'm part of the great 'unwashed'.
>  heh heh
>
> Off topic:
> Yep re: the escape in Looking glass, but apparently that is by design.  I
> read the docs online for that and its very specific as to how to leave
> it...and the escape in eval is it.  I'm guessing its to avoid leaving the
> app prematurely...but just guessing there.

Do you happen to remember the URL for that (unless it's
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/LookingGlass I haven't been able to
find anything talking about keyboard short cuts).  It's a developer
tool, so I'm hoping there's some way of navigating between panes
without having to reach for the mouse.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org