[arch-general] Hello

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:45:55 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Brandon Jones <magedeveloping at gmail.com>wrote:

> Alright thanks.  I'll look into how pkgbuild works and see if I can figure
> it out to maintain some packages.  Better to update the packages to they
> are
> available then just delete them.
>
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 05/05/2011 10:49 PM, Brandon Jones wrote:
> >
> >> Hey all, I'm new to arch linux but I would like to contribute in anyway
> >> can.  My development skills are limited to java and c#, however I am
> >> willing
> >> to learn c/c++ and others to help you all out.  Just let me know what I
> >> can
> >> do to be of assistance.
> >>
> > Welcome to Arch.
> >
> > For now, a good thing to do is to check AUR for old packages/orphans and
> > either report them to aur-general for deletion or take care of their
> > maintenance.
> >
> > P.S.: We hope your stay in Arch Linux will be a pleasant one. Your
> > operating system has been processed, and we are now ready to begin
> > development proper.
> >
> > -- Sven-Hendrik

Huh, I have a good friend named Brandon Jones....

We are excited to have you on board, if you are interested in becoming an
Arch developer the place to start is in the AUR, it is meant as both a
public package repository, and a sort of packager proving ground. Once you
are maintaining say 30-40 packages and you are helping in the community an
Arch Linux Trusted User (TU) can sponsor you to become a TU.

Also, since you have the programming fu... much of Arch is written in bash,
and there are a few main projects that could use some love, for instance
netcfg http://projects.archlinux.org/netcfg.git/ could use a maintainer.

There are a number of Arch projects that could always use some polish:
http://projects.archlinux.org/

Or there are a number of open source projects that target Arch or are
developed on Arch that you could help with, you could just ask around and
find something thats suits your fancy, I for one could always use more help
on my projects, salt, varch, quarters, butter etc:
https://github.com/thatch45

Pick your poison, but the quickest way to become a member of the Arch
developer community is to maintain packages in the AUR, kill some bugs on
the bugtracker, and submit patches to Arch projects. Then we will make you a
TU and you will be well on your way!

-Thomas S Hatch
-Arch Linux Trusted User