[arch-general] Drop non-free ?! (Was: Commit in ffmpeg/trunk)

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Sun May 8 00:29:26 EDT 2011

Loui Chang wrote:
> On Sat 07 May 2011 18:32 +0300, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> On 05/07/2011 06:28 PM, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
>> >Ionut Biru wrote:
>> >
>> >Is faac support in ffmpeg causing trouble to other applications or was
>> >changed for licensing reasons?
>>
>> licensing. if you need faac you should use abs to recompile it
>
> <...>
> What is Arch's official policies when it comes to patents?
> It could have some widespread implications for the distro.

Seems theres a heated topic on the forum about this [0]. I hadn't
noticed it before, i had seen [1] though.
Oh well, the forum isn't the suitable place for heated discussions
anyway :)

[0]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117855
[1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=116994

--
()  against html e-mail  |  usenet & email communication netiquette
/\  www.asciiribbon.org  |  www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html