[arch-general] Display Manager rc.d scripts

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sun May 8 15:13:56 EDT 2011

Am Sun, 8 May 2011 19:28:11 +0100
schrieb Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>:

> I think the argument of OP was that the inittab method should be the
> *only* method.  If both methods are available, which one should be the
> default?

I'd suggest keeping both methods. Is there a need for a default?

I mean the user has to edit /etc/inittab or /etc/rc.conf after the
basic installation anyway, because by default there's no active entry
for starting xorg at boot time, neither in /etc/inittab nor
in /etc/rc.conf. There are only commented examples in /etc/inittab. So
it's the user's choice which method he wants to use. And I don't think
this needs to be changed.

In fact I think not starting xorg at boot time should be the default as
it is already.

Only both methods should be explained in the Wiki pages with their
pros and cons.

Heiko