[arch-general] Cannot Find Desktop in GNOME3

Sorin-Mihai Vârgolici smv at yobicore.org
Tue May 10 14:47:55 EDT 2011

Although I agree that installing and uninstalling gnome-shell and
gnome-tweak-tool is a way to get this done, I don't think it's the best,
nor the easiest.

There is an alternative, which seems to be easier IMO. In gnome-terminal
you can run the next command as user:

GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background
show-desktop-icons true

It should be a single line, but Evolution is splitting it.

You can revert, if you ever wish to do so, with:

GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background
show-desktop-icons false

Again, this should be a single line.

This way neither gnome-shell, nor gnome-tweak-tool are needed. Besides,
using this method, every single thing done in gnome-tweak-tool can be
done without it, directly from the command line.

--
<>< Sorin-Mihai Vârgolici