[arch-general] GPT not recognise after swapping internal and external drives

Laurent Kappler rwx700 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 13:58:10 EDT 2011

Hi list,

I'm changing computer, Asus A600 to a Thinkpad T60.
My configuration on the Asus is an internal IDE magnetic drive and an
external SATA SSD drive.
The system boot from the SSD and hold the /, /home partitions.
The internal IDE disk holds the /op, /var and an 3rd partition mounted
somewhere else, not really important.

The T60 contains an internal SATA bay. So I swaped disks, putting the
SATA SSD drive inside and using the IDE disk as external.
The boot menu show up, boot, but kind of fails recognising the drives,
with errors like : Unhandled sense code.
Still the right number of partition is recognised and and the GPT seems
to work as /dev/disk/by-uuid show the right symlinks to the partitions.

I launched gdisk sda which tells me no GPT but MBR yes do you want to
convert your MBR to GPT....I'm not going this way.
So the GPT seems broken here.

I put back the disk in my Asus and it all work perfectly again.
Do you know a way I could fix that?

Thank you
Laurent