[arch-general] Future of 'kernel26'

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed May 25 11:33:42 EDT 2011

Am 25.05.2011 17:20, schrieb Bernardo Barros:
> Hi there,
>
> There are rumors that the next version number of the Linux Kernel is
> going to be 3.0.
> Since we choosed 'kernel26' as the package name, we will have to
> modify it anyway.
> Why not just 'linux 3.0'? Just an idea.. since we have the fellow
> project 'Arch Hurd' providing 'hurd' as an alternative different
> kernel already.

This is a non-issue. The package name was wrong all along, so why not
let it remain wrong?

There are always potential problems with replacing packages, in this
case the backup-file /etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel26.preset which will not be
kept with such a change.

Changing file names in /boot is another such problem.

That said, at some point we might fix that name, and the package name
should be 'linux', of course.