[arch-general] Future of 'kernel26'

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed May 25 11:38:33 EDT 2011

Am Wed, 25 May 2011 17:26:19 +0200
schrieb Jelle van der Waa <jelle at vdwaa.nl>:

> When the rumours are over and linux is going to release his first
> rc1, then it would make sense to rename kernel26 to linux3.0.
> Except that the lts version will be still kernel26-lts, so maybe
> kernel3.0 would be better. I'm sure Tobias will come up with a nice
> solution :)

I guess the best name is kernel30.

Linux3.0 can easily cause misunderstandings as Linux is usually used as
a generic term for the whole system, the distros, etc. even if the
correct naming of the whole system is GNU/Linux and Linux itself
actually is only the kernel.

That said the Linux kernel is hosted at kernel.org and not at linux.org.

Kernel is just more precisely than linux. So why changing this naming
convention?

Heiko