[arch-general] Future of 'kernel26'

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Wed May 25 14:36:48 EDT 2011

On 25 May 2011 23:38, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Linux3.0 can easily cause misunderstandings as Linux is usually used as
> a generic term for the whole system, the distros, etc. even if the
> correct naming of the whole system is GNU/Linux and Linux itself
> actually is only the kernel.

I agree. I'd like for the package to be called simply 'kernel'. That
fits in with our straightforward approach to package-naming (and
packaging in general). As long as we can linguistically correlate the
commands, for .eg:

"I want a kernel for this system" == pacman -S kernel

A derivative distribution or third-party repository which does not use
the Linux kernel can then still provide a 'kernel' package.

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10