[arch-general] Future of 'kernel26'

XeCycle xecycle at gmail.com
Thu May 26 00:28:45 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:20:46PM -0300, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> There are rumors that the next version number of the Linux Kernel is
> going to be 3.0.
> Since we choosed 'kernel26' as the package name, we will have to
> modify it anyway.
> Why not just 'linux 3.0'? Just an idea.. since we have the fellow
> project 'Arch Hurd' providing 'hurd' as an alternative different
> kernel already.

I'd like to suggest a more complex name:
"linux-kernel". Related packages can be called
"linux-api-headers", "linux-docs".

Perhaps we may provide alternative kernels? With names like
these, we may get a brand new project named "Arch Operating
System", providing Linux, BSD, Hurd or even more as kernels,
and users are free to choose any one. Well, this is really
interesting. It'd be the first OS to provide multiple
kernels!

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University