[arch-general] dmraid fail after update to 2.6.38-7.1 - Fallback OK - Sleep hook needed after udev needed?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri May 27 22:03:37 EDT 2011

Tobias, Thomas, all,

   After update to 2.6.38-7.1 I am experiencing a dmraid failure. It also
affects the LTS kernel. The Fallback image boots fine. The failure produces the
following error (retyped from RAMFS console):

boot messages:

Activating dmraid arrays...
no block devices found
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/mapper/nvidia_baaccajap5
Root device '/dev/mapper/nvidia_baaccajap5' doesn't exist attempting to create it.
Error: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device
'/dev/mapper/nvidia_baaccajap5'

   In the past, Thomas has mentioned:

<quote>
This might just be a timing problem: dmraid -ay might be called before
/dev/sd* is fully set up and detected - we had these problems in the
past already. The 'sleep' hook put after the udev hook can work around that.
</quote>

   I'll give the sleep hook a go and report back. I have updated 3 dmraid
systems with 2.6.38-7.1 and I only have this problem on one box. (2 - x86_64, 1
- i686). Since Fallback works fine, this seems like the timing problem. If
anyone else can confirm this or suggest additional tests, I'm happy to try them.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.