[arch-general] "whitebox" on bootup after KMS kicks in

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Sat May 28 01:02:46 EDT 2011

does anyone else experience <title>?

i've been getting this for sometime -- on intel, nouveau, and radeon
KMS drivers -- and it looks terrible.  after the module loads within
initramfs, the space *within* the old resolution is pure white,
surrounded by normal black.  i'm pretty sure the "whitebox"
corresponds to the size of the previous resolution because it's
different sizes on all my machines, and pretty small on my 1920x1280
laptop (@ 15.5in ... awesome :-)

anyways, long story short it turns back 2 black when written over
(systemd/initscripts output) or cleared, so:

echo -en '\e[H\e[2J'

... takes care of it.  i basically just did a `clear > out`, looked at
the codes, and made a small initramfs hook from the above.

it works fine as is, but is anyone else seeing this?  it annoys me
because i don't run getty on tty1, so it's there forever unless i
clear right away.  not really a big deal, as it took longer to write
this msg than fix it, but it started happening a few kernels ago IIRC
and i'm wondering if we can just throw something like this into
mkinitcpio (if `quiet`, or before output), because it looks terrible
:-(

i'll open a report unless someone feels like throwing it in there,
it's a pretty simple change.

--

C Anthony