[arch-general] "whitebox" on bootup after KMS kicks in

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Sat May 28 08:35:22 EDT 2011

C Anthony Risinger [2011.05.28 0002 -0500]:
> does anyone else experience <title>?
>
> i've been getting this for sometime -- on intel, nouveau, and radeon
> KMS drivers -- and it looks terrible.  after the module loads within
> initramfs, the space *within* the old resolution is pure white,
> surrounded by normal black.  i'm pretty sure the "whitebox"
> corresponds to the size of the previous resolution because it's
> different sizes on all my machines, and pretty small on my 1920x1280
> laptop (@ 15.5in ... awesome :-)

Well, I get something like this intermittently immediately after switching to
the new resolution.  I have a Dell Latitude E6510 with a 1920x1080 screen, Core
i7 graphics, and use late KMS.  When switching to this resolution, the screen
turns, well, sometimes black, sometimes white, and sometimes striped for
probably about a second, but then everything goes back to normal, continuing to
show the boot messages.  So I would suspect this is something different from
what you're seeing.  I expect it to be one of those glitches that will get
ironed out over time, given that this screen configuration started to get
supported only in the 2.6.38 kernel and that they were really struggling to get
it to work.

Cheers,
Norbert