[arch-general] "whitebox" on bootup after KMS kicks in

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Sat May 28 13:16:06 EDT 2011

On May 28, 2011 8:41 AM, "Rogutės Sparnuotos" <rogutes at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> C Anthony Risinger (2011-05-28 00:02):
> > does anyone else experience <title>?
> >
> > i've been getting this for sometime -- on intel, nouveau, and radeon
> > KMS drivers -- and it looks terrible.  after the module loads within
> > initramfs, the space *within* the old resolution is pure white,
> > surrounded by normal black.  i'm pretty sure the "whitebox"
> > corresponds to the size of the previous resolution because it's
> > different sizes on all my machines, and pretty small on my 1920x1280
> > laptop (@ 15.5in ... awesome :-)
> >
> > anyways, long story short it turns back 2 black when written over
> > (systemd/initscripts output) or cleared, so:
> >
> > echo -en '\e[H\e[2J'
> >
> > ... takes care of it.  i basically just did a `clear > out`, looked at
> > the codes, and made a small initramfs hook from the above.
> >
> > it works fine as is, but is anyone else seeing this?  it annoys me
> > because i don't run getty on tty1, so it's there forever unless i
> > clear right away.  not really a big deal, as it took longer to write
> > this msg than fix it, but it started happening a few kernels ago IIRC
> > and i'm wondering if we can just throw something like this into
> > mkinitcpio (if `quiet`, or before output), because it looks terrible
> > :-(
> >
> > i'll open a report unless someone feels like throwing it in there,
> > it's a pretty simple change.
>
> No white boxes here with radeon KMS (built-in) under 2.6.38.3. Actually, I
> can even see the "PCI Device Listing ..." table from the BIOS when I
> switch to tty1.
>
> No white boxes on another PC with radeon, Arch's kernel26 and initramfs.

Hmm I forgot to mention I use syslinux on all the machines ... I wonder if
that has something to do with it.  Syslinux seems to turn the whole screen
gray for a sec or two/three before this happens.  I have a custom color
syslinux.cfg but I've twiddled with all the settings and nothing seems to
affect it.

C Anthony