[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] removing load-modules.sh from udev

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Sun May 29 06:31:15 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> Thanks for your Oon-ee.
>
> Sun, May 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> rc.conf - MODULES(!mod1, !mod2): blacklisting modules in the modules
>>> array will no longer have any effect. modprobe already provides two
>>> different ways of preventing modules from being loaded, so this is
>>> just a matter of updating some configuration files. To blacklist
>>> modules, add a new .conf file to /etc/modprobe.d/ with the contents
>>>
>>> blacklist mod1
>>> blacklist mod2
>> <snip>
>>
>> This seems a regression of current rc.conf behaviour (in essence,
>> moves another configuration back to upstream default which was
>> previously in rc.conf). Is there any good reason to keep current
>> behaviour (perhaps an Arch-specific udev rule which parses MODULES for
>> blacklisting?)
>
> I have not found any uses of the MODULES array like you describe (if
> they exist they should be considered bugs though, the MODULES array
> was not meant to be used in this way). However, if anyone knows of
> any, then please let me know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Glad to oblige, here's my current MODULES:-
MODULES=(!phc-intel acpi_cpufreq vboxdrv vboxnetflt loop fuse
!net-pf-10 !snd_pcsp uinput !pcspkr coretemp)

When I was testing out undervolting I used the phc-intel blacklist to
prevent it loading (otherwise it would automatically load even if not
listed). Don't use it anymore, but its a use-case. The blacklists of
the other three I got from the old old Beginner's Guide when I first
set up (couple of years back) but at least snd_pcsp and pcspkr are
still recommended to be blacklisted here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Disable_PC_Speaker_Beep

The purpose is simply to disable those annoying speaker beeps. Since
computers normally come with sound cards nowadays, why would we want
to hear polyphonic beeps which even our handphones and microwave ovens
don't use anymore =).

As I said, when the change happens I'd personally just write the
custom udev rules and forget about them, no big deal.