[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] removing load-modules.sh from udev

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun May 29 06:56:15 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Auguste Pop <auguste at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> I have not found any uses of the MODULES array like you describe (if
>> they exist they should be considered bugs though, the MODULES array
>> was not meant to be used in this way). However, if anyone knows of
>> any, then please let me know.
>>
> i'll really like to know what is the "meant" way of using MODULES
> array in rc.conf?
>
> in rc.conf shipped with initscripts 2011.05.2-1, it is stated clearly:
> "MODULES: Modules to load at boot-up. Prefix with a ! to blacklist."
> and all of a sudden, prefixing modules with ! in MODULES array to
> blacklist the module at boot is considered improper use?

No. I was saying that only load-modules.sh/initscripts should parse
the MODULES array directly (Oon-ee was suggesting that udev rules
might rely on the MODULES array).

Once we make this change, then blacklisting in rc.conf will become
unsupported and we would of course update the comment and make an
announcement. It should be replaced by a native modprobe configuration
file (see my previous email or "man modprobe.conf").

Cheers,

Tom