[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] removing load-modules.sh from udev

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun May 29 14:50:06 EDT 2011

2011/5/29 Vytautas Stankevičius <brotheris at gmail.com>:
> I seem to remember that the point of rc.conf was to configure system in one
> place. Looks like the politics are changing.

rc.conf is the one place for all Arch-specific settings. As you know
/etc is full of config files owned by different packages, rc.conf is
for the stuff that does not belong anywhere else.

As time goes by, upstream projects gain more config options making
some of the ones in rc.conf obsolete. This is, in my opinion, a good
thing as it means less code for us to maintain.

An example of this is the UDEV_TIMEOUT variable. We keep this in
rc.conf since udev does not support setting it in udev.conf. However,
it is on their TODO list, so when this support is added to udev we
will remove it from rc.conf.

> Networking, hardwareclock, now
> modules.

Though I get your point, I think your examples were poorly chosen:

Networking can still be configured in rc.conf. We will soon support a
new syntax as we are adding support for iproute2, but the old one will
still be supported (though marked as deprecated).

Hardware clock is still supported in rc.conf. We only added a comment
to suggest people set it to UTC, as LOCALTIME is causing more problems
than it solves. That said, hwclock already has a config file for this
variable, so we might revisit this in the future.

We still support modules, only the blacklisting is deprecated.

> Locale next ?

There are some open feature requests to improve our locale handling,
but I see no reason to stop supporting the LOCALE variable in rc.conf.

Cheers,

Tom