[arch-general] Why not create a new repo specified for games ?

Ángel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 1 13:01:01 EDT 2011

2011/11/1 Matej Ľach <matej.lach at gmail.com>:
> I support this idea.
> Keep most games in AUR and the more popular ones can have their own repo
> [games] on a separate server.
> This server could be community financed using donations and if not enough
> interest will be raised for new repo, all these huge games can be moved to
> AUR and the smaller ones can stay in [community].
>
> That's my view at it.

I have been saying that since two or three years ago.

As i've said before, games is not the strong point of any Linux
distribution, and nobody use linux to game, face it, some people
download games, but most of the gamer people are playing consoles, not
even a desktop/laptop computer..

For me having another repo [games] won't be a mess, and for non-gamers
won't be a mess either cause we won't play games!. games are not
popular software like KDE/GNOME (which I don't use), even if you try
harder to justify about "other bigger packages" no dude, games are not
so popular to this size of mb. It's a relation popular <-> disk space.

But well, i'm done with this, games in repos are hurting our distro
instead helping it..

Good luck

--
Angel Velásquez