[arch-general] Why not create a new repo specified for games ?

Meyithi mail at meyithi.com
Tue Nov 1 16:10:29 EDT 2011

2011/11/1 Ángel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.org>

> I have been saying that since two or three years ago.
>
> As i've said before, games is not the strong point of any Linux
> distribution, and nobody use linux to game, face it, some people
> download games, but most of the gamer people are playing consoles, not
> even a desktop/laptop computer..
>
> For me having another repo [games] won't be a mess, and for non-gamers
> won't be a mess either cause we won't play games!. games are not
> popular software like KDE/GNOME (which I don't use), even if you try
> harder to justify about "other bigger packages" no dude, games are not
> so popular to this size of mb. It's a relation popular <-> disk space.
>
> But well, i'm done with this, games in repos are hurting our distro
> instead helping it..
>
> Good luck

You are ill informed, indie games are making millions and services such as
Desura are introducing them to the Linux community.

Oh and by the way, I game on Arch, your assumption that nobody does is
preposterous.  Also, Linux is always more considerate towards the "Humble
Bundles", http://www.humblebundle.com/, take a look at the average purchase
price, Linux is top, and is consistently on the bundles.

Please don't assume what I do on my system.

--
Jason Steadman
http://www.meyithi.com/