[arch-general] Why not create a new repo specified for games ?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Tue Nov 1 16:27:12 EDT 2011

On (11/01/11 16:01), Calvin Morrison wrote:
-~> 2011/11/1 Ángel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.org>:
-~> > 2011/11/1 Meyithi <mail at meyithi.com>:
-~> >> I don't code, can we please move all coding tools to a separate repo so I
-~> >> don't have to sync it?
-~> >>
-~> >> thanks
-~> >
-~> > You're a troll, you have a separate repo for you add it it's called [troll].
-~> >
-~>
-~> Actually I think there is a valid point being made. If we created a
-~> repo for [games] why not [browsers], [code], lets just get a repo for
-~> everything!

First of all, because this has already been done in openSuSE (a separete repo
for texlive, for new KDE/gnome, for multimedia, etc...) -- not cool inho.

Second, because compilers are needed for core system tasks, browsers are
general purpose software, and so on. This is what [core/extra] are about.

The point here is to separate apps not by purpose but overall quality. While
you can argue all day long about creating (or not) a repo for security apps,
games definitely fall into a [poor software] category which you can name
[games], [communitty-extra] or whatever.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D