[arch-general] Gnome Shell freezes

Max max at posteo.de
Thu Nov 3 06:58:29 EDT 2011

Hey, thanks for your responses.

@Gan Lu: ATI canceled support for the proprietary driver for X1400.
Using the vesa driver won't work because gnome shell requires hardware
acceleration.

@Simon: Actually I will try killing gnome-shell next time. I always
killed gnome-session or the xserver. or simply stopped gdm. We seem to
have different problem though. I use CTRL+ALT+{UP,DOWN} quite a lot and
it never hung up when switching between workspaces.

@Roman: Doing vmstat 2 > vmstat.log & now. Actually I don't know what to
do with the information after a crash but it will provide more insight.

If anybody else experiences similar problems, please comment.