[arch-general] Display issues with Linux 3.1

Mike Bishop mbishop at mtaonline.net
Thu Nov 10 14:48:34 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 07:55:22PM -0500, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
> Since updating to Linux 3.1 yesterday, I've been having strange problems
> with the display on my laptop. The first reboot after updating the
> kernel went normally, but every subsequent boot since then has had
> problems.
>
> This is a Dell Latitude D620 laptop with the following graphics-related
> lines in the lspci output:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>
> During boot, at the stage where it says "Waiting for UDev uevents to be
> processed", the backlight normally blinks and the display mode changes,
> presumably due to udev detecting my graphics hardware.

<snip>

Same problem here, on an Asus laptop with Intel (945GM) graphics.  Still
fiddling with it, but I can restore proper operation by starting
X then (ctl+alt+fn) moving to a tty.  I start X by ssh'ing from
another machine.

I have another machine with intel (945G) graphics that does not have the
problem.  But it's not a laptop.  Next tests are to remove laptop
specific daemons from rc.conf to see if that helps (since both these
machines are almost identical in configuration).

Rgds,
--
Mike Bishop
Willow, Alaska