[arch-general] linux 3.1-4 - two i686 lockups after ~ 5 hours of operations. two x86_64 seem OK

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:55:11 EST 2011

On 10-11-2011 19:16, David C. Rankin wrote:

> Richard, David - check your hardware clock "# hwclock -r" and compare
> that to the time returned by "# date". If they are hours apart, then
> make sure your sysclock is correct and set the hardware clock to your
> sysclock with "# hwclock -w". Worth checking regardless. I know this
> used to be done on boot or shutdown and I don't know why it isn't
> anymore. I'll do some more digging.

You should take into account that 'hwclock -r' and 'date' might return
different times and things will still be ok, it all depends on if you
have the clock set to UTC or localtime and your timezone. The man page
says there is some autodetection logic but as with all things it can fail.

--
Mauro Santos