[arch-general] linux 3.1-4 - two i686 lockups after ~ 5 hours of operations. two x86_64 seem OK

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:01:32 EST 2011

On 11/10/2011 02:59 PM, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> Yeah I'm really not sure about the jump, ntp should be logging any changes
> anyway (though I believe it will not change the time if greater than some
> threshold)
>
> ... however, some time ago it was announced that localtime is no longer
> supported for a variety of well-known and good reasons.  Windows just needs
> a small tweak (via registry IIRC) and it will behave.  I would recommended
> switching to UTC hardware clock, and making said change.

C Anthony,

   Thanks. The lack of 'localtime' support may be the problem. The Win
registry tweak isn't quite an actual fix:

<quote>

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

It would seem that there are still some issues with this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/09/02/224672.aspx

It seems to work most of the "time" for me but 1 or twice a day the clock
changes to the timezone offset again. I just have to do a w32tm /resync
/nowait to fix it.

</quote>

   So without an option for "localtime" in rc.conf, it will effectively
prevent a real dual-boot solution. Not a big impact, but strange that
localtime isn't fully supported.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.