[arch-general] Building coreutils

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sat Nov 12 14:35:52 EST 2011

I changed the cflags in makepkg.conf and have been rebuilding packages and
have a problem building coreutils. The following is an excerpt from the
check log with the appropriate line numbers.

1501 ================================


1503 Skipping test: no chinese GB18030 locale is installed


1505 FAIL: test-parse-datetime (exit: 134)

1506 =================================


1508 test-parse-datetime.c:142: assertion failed


1510 SKIP: test-setlocale1.sh (exit: 77)

1511 ===================================


1513 Skipping test: no locale for testing is installed


My current settings in makepkg.conf are:

CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-all
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"

CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-all
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"



I run with testing repos enabled so I don't cherrypick anything, I simply
rebuild my packages with the above configuration, and in 90% of the cases I
manage to figure out my problems and fix them. I always assume it's
something I've done my self first, then look elsewhere later. The way I get
my PKGBUILDS etc is [ svn checkout --depth-empty ] then [ svn update [
pkgname ] ] then build the trunk version. If that doesn't work I try the
testing repos, which I assume is the same as trunk but try it anyway. After
that I search for bugs relating to the package, this time coreutils and the
only thing I could find was related to ISO-8601 [
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2011-10/msg00096.html ] but
wasn't sure it was directly related.

This from the end of the check:

1 of 269 tests failed

(25 tests were not run)

See gnulib-tests/test-suite.log

Please report to bug-coreutils at gnu.org


make[6]: *** [test-suite.log] Error 1

make[6]: Leaving directory

make[5]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 2

make[5]: Leaving directory

make[4]: *** [check-am] Error 2

make[4]: Leaving directory

make[3]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

make[3]: Leaving directory

make[2]: *** [check] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory

make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory

make: *** [check] Error 2

[1m38;5;1m==> ERROR:A failure occurred in check()

[1m Aborting...

This from test-parse-datetime.log

 FAIL: test-parse-datetime (exit: 134)


test-parse-datetime.c:142: assertion failed

This from test-parse-datetime.c

136  /* ISO 8601 extended date and time of day representation,

137 'T' separator, local time zone */

135 p = "2011-05-01T11:55:18";

137 expected.tv_sec = 1304250918 - gmtoff;

138 expected.tv_nsec = 0;

139 ASSERT (parse_datetime (&result, p, 0));

140 LOG (p, expected, result);

141 ASSERT (expected.tv_sec == result.tv_sec

142 && expected.tv_nsec == result.tv_nsec);

After checking all these I cloned the git repo for coreutils, applied the
patch files, bootstraped the build which clones the gnulib repo and builds
it, then ran

[ ./configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib/coreutils \

--enable-install-program=su \

--enable-no-install-program=groups,hostname,kill,uptime \

--enable-pam CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-all
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" \

LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,--hash-style=gnu" ]

which duplicates the PKGBUILD and my makepkg.conf, then make -j3, then

[ make RUN_EXPENSIVE_TESTS=yes check ]

and all the tests passed. I did this twice just to make sure I'd done it
the same both times and achieved the same results

I previously built this package as below with no problems with the
following makepkg.conf

[ CFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -m64 -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,--hash-style=gnu" ]

[myra at gandalf ~]:pacq coreutils

Name : coreutils

Version : 8.14-1

URL : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils

Licenses : GPL3

Groups : base

Provides : None

Depends On : glibc shadow pam acl gmp libcap

Optional Deps : None

Required By : ca-certificates dbus-core filesystem hwdetect initscripts
linux linux-pf mkinitcpio mlocate netcfg perl pkgstats rpmextract sysvinit

Conflicts With : None

Replaces : mktemp

Installed Size : 13860.00 KiB

Packager : Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net>

Architecture : x86_64

Build Date : Sat 15 Oct 2011 02:07:03 AM CDT

Install Date : Sat 15 Oct 2011 02:08:51 AM CDT

Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package

Install Script : Yes

Description : The basic file, shell and text manipulation utilities of the
GNU operating system

Apparently something changed between know and then as my only changes were
in my makepkg.conf file and I know use localepurge to remove locales that I
don't use. My assumption in not having the extra locales on my machine
casued the failure, but thought I would put this out there anyway to make

Thanks for your time and assistance.


Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!

More information about the arch-general mailing list