[arch-general] Application stability problems (kernel 3.1, Intel hardware)

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:41:45 EST 2011

    Hello all!

    I'm encountering some very strange problems with my ArchLinux
lately... And I was wondering if someone has similar problems?

    Context: switched to 3.1.1 kernel, all packages are updated. I
have a Lenovo X1 Thinkpad -- mainly everything is Intel based.

    Strange behaviour:
    * Firefox crashes randomly (or takes the CPU to 100%); (no error on stderr;)
    * All OpenSSL based programs complain from time to time of invalid
received data;
    * Flash makes strange noises, strange display artefacts, usually
just crashes;
    * mouse jumps in the upper left corner (or sometimes just stays at
top or left);
    * nothing strange in dmesg;

    Observations:
    * it doesn't happen with a custom built kernel 2.6.38.x;
    * it does happen with either custom 3.1.1 kernel or ArchLinux built one;
    * it seems that when I'm at the office (with a LAN connection) it
doesn't happen as often;
    * it seems that at home (with a Wifi WLAN) it does happen a lot;

    Thanks,
    Ciprian.

    P.S.: At the moment I don't have time to diagnose better the problem...