[arch-general] Automatic File Associations Alloting

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Nov 21 16:36:33 EST 2011

Excerpts from Bernardo Barros's message of 2011-11-20 00:06:05 +0100:
> text files opening automatically with wine is really a VERY annoying thing...

This is pretty clearly a DE issue. Are you all using the same DE or is
this common behavior in all popular DEs? I rarely have any of those
issues since I usually call my programs by name and ROX uses manual
file association. Only firefox is sometimes hard to convince, but it
uses gconf or some other DE stuff underneath. It's somewhat nice to see
that DE users also have problems with that kind of stuff. Maybe this
stuff can be changed using regedit or however that great program to
change gconf settings is called. I'm sorry, somehow this ended up as
another DE flame instead of being helpful. Oh well...

So how is this stuff controlled these days? Those funky desktop files?
gconf? dconf? Something else entirely?