[arch-general] Automatic File Associations Alloting

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 18:50:25 EST 2011

On 2011-11-21 23:36, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> So how is this stuff controlled these days? Those funky desktop files?
> gconf? dconf? Something else entirely?

The default programs are kept in
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, according to fd.o "MIME
Actions spec".

<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec>

All popular DEs - GNOME, Xfce, KDE - use this, and should respect
explicitly set defaults.

On 2011-11-22 00:06, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> gconf, I think in gnome. In xfce (thunar) there is something like
> $HOME/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. They are all evil, however:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfYBa1EHm4 (ShmooCon 2011: USB Autorun
attacks
> against Linux).

Waitwaitwaitwait. How the *hell* does the existence of XDG autorun spec
automatically make all other XDG specs "evil"? Especially file-program
associations, which are completely unrelated?

--
Mantas M.