[arch-general] pacman new generation

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Tue Nov 22 15:05:30 EST 2011

On 11/22/2011 02:41 PM, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> I using testing / staging repos does this already: you try out
> [testing], if it doesn't work, you disable it and run 'pacman -Suu'.
> Would using different sync dbs and a separate cache turned into a
> local repo make it easy enough to be practical?

Also, pacsnap[1] does a good enough job for me.  Which is to take maybe
70% of the risk out of upgrading -- sure, a reversion won't work all the
time, but I need it rarely enough that the low overhead of pacsnap is
more convenient for me than the risk of living with a partly-broken
system until it's fixed upstream is bad.

That being said, if someone polishes btrfs snapshots, I might use that
instead.  (Once I switch to btrfs, that is.)